Back up and restore your iPhone using iCloud or iTunes
How to backup and restore an iPhone using iCloud or iTunes
Use iTunes if you have access to a computer and can install the "iTunes" program, or if you don't have an iCloud account or don't want to use iCloud. This is the preferred method.
Back up and restore using iTunes
- Use these steps to back up the content on your iPhone to your computer using iTunes:
- Make sure your computer has the latest version of iTunes
- Connect your device to your computer
- Open iTunes and Select "Back Up Now"
- Wait until the backup is complete
- The "Latest Backup" date will update
- Use these steps if you need to restore your iPhone after a backup:
- Connect your device to the computer that has your backup.
- Install the latest version of iTunes
- Open iTunes and Select "Restore Backup..."
- Once the restore is complete, your iPhone will restart
- When the device restarts, you should see a Hello screen.
- Follow the steps to complete the Setup and Voilà! Your iPhone has been restored.
Backup and restore using iCloud
Use iCloud if you do not have access to a computer or laptop. Note that you should only use iCloud to perform a backup if you are connected to a Wi-Fi connection. Do not use your mobile data as this might incur heavy data usage charges.
- Use these steps to Backup your iPhone using iCloud
- Tap Settings > iCloud > Backup
- Tap iCloud Backup to turn it ON
- Tap Back Up Now to start backing up your device.
- Follow these steps if you want to restore your device after a backup:
- Go to Settings > General > Reset
- Select "Erase All Content and Settings"
- You might be prompted to enter your Apple ID
- The iPhone screen will turn off and then display the Apple logo
- Once the restore is complete, the iPhone will restart. Slide the screen to the right to begin the setup
- Follow the steps in the Setup until you get to the Set Up iPhone screen.
- Select "Restore from iCloud Backup".
- Your iPhone will take a few minutes to restore, then you're all good to go!